The right job isn’t about location or benefits or responsibilities. The right job is about personality, character, motivation, fulfilment. It’s about what inspires us, what we’re passionate about.
At Fluidigm, we’re passionate about life. Exploring it, studying it, sustaining it, living it. We make biotech tools that enable our customers and ourselves to seek truth in applied life sciences. To push limits and envision ever more creative answers to “what if…?” Naturally, we’re also passionate about people, especially the ones we work with. We know that the right people in the right positions can do amazing things, and we love making that happen. We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our Markham team.
- Design and modify parts and instrumentation in order to support manufacturing using SolidWorks and CATIA V6
- Create and design documentation, BOMs and manufacturing procedure descriptions, obtaining quotes on OEM and machined parts
- Prepare Design Change documents, Test Reports and other documents
- Perform Mechanical troubleshooting of assemblies and systems and documented analysis of failures and recommendations on improvements to ensure safety, ROHS compliance, and conformance with designs and engineering schematics
- Recommend technical improvements using knowledge of applicable theory to enhance the performance of the components
- Works with cross-functional teams to review and investigate root cause of high priority problem issues raised through customer complaint process or via manufacturing escalations.
- Test and evaluate defective products using root cause and failure mode analysis methods.
- Design and implement test methods to aid in the evaluation of prototypes.
- Maintain accurate records of communications with projects’ stakeholders.
- Is responsible, alongside Quality, for the accuracy and completeness of system and hardware DHF (design history file) across the product life cycle, including Risk management processes
- Prepare DCN (Design Change Notice) documents and Test Reports.
- Follow up with cross functional team members (QA, Manufacturing, Procurement, Service and R&D) to ensure assigned actions are completed on time.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 5+ years of experience in instrumentation and/or capital equipment design
- Practical experience with parametric CAD, preferably SolidWorks and CATIA.
- Technical writing and experience with shop tools.
- Demonstrated experience problem solving and supporting scalable systems in a production environment.
- Excellent blueprint reading ability including thorough understanding of geometric, dimension and tolerances.
- Ability to read and produce drawings from CAD.
- Experience in creating and review of documents, including reports and SOPs.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills with a proven ability to work with a team.
- Have the ability to handle several tasks and projects at once.
- Fast learner, with the ability to adapt.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Work experience or personal “hands on” experience in electronics and mechanical assemblies would be an asset.